Thursday, November 18, 2010

Party by Google



 Last night Google had a launch party for their new site Boutiques.com. Held in a cavernous space on the edge of Soho it had the requisite hip DJs (the Misshapes and Becka Diamond), multiple open bars, video screens and random entertainment (break dancers and trapeze artist) of a corporate party trying to appeal to the cool kids. Which is not to say that it wasn't fun! I was really excited to go and take photos of the crowd expecting there to be alot of fashion forward people attending. And there were some, but less than I see at my average night out actually. What I've noticed recently when I've gone to things that cater to bloggers is an influx of girls who all look very fashionable but in a way that feels kind of contrived as if they spend alot of time studying Blake Lively or Blake Lively as Serena...and so even though they're wearing something very au courant it kind of falls flat. It's interesting how you can see if style is coming from the inside or put on by the outside. I'm guessing it has to do with how comfortable a person is with themselves and if they are it resonates beyond "the look".
I saw Christian Siriano and the Olsen Twins and tons of "celebrity" bloggers as well. As far as boutiques.com goes, we'll have to see...my initial impression is that it's a bit like this party: trying to create a sense of insider intimacy but slightly forced –you can't just copy style.


To introduce their curated boutiques within the site, 8 models on platforms wore outfits from various celebrity and designer boutiques and they would change them up throughout the night. There were also small info cards next to each look that would tell you what boutique it was from and the exact items. The only problem was the models rotated out and so I got mixed up what look went with what card.
Me + my friend Alex

Making faces for the camera with the now blonde and diminuitive Kelly Osbourne
Susie Bubble and friends

2 comments:

  1. kelly o so cute and fun who knew? susie b. swell and what an entourage, would that they were mine. But, you, oh my dear Pixie, what a great 'do. I'm loving this look. As to the event itself, for me, I'd rather shop on foot in the back alleys, quaint boutiques, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Google Boutiques.com project reminds me of that dorky awkward kid who's got money and tries to buy his peers' acceptance. He'll maybe get invited to party with them but he'll never be one of them.

    I wasn't at the party, but I've played with the website and it feels so forced. You can feel it was conceptualized by a fashion outsider.

    The whole idea of shopping by copying someone else's style is so wrong on so many levels. Moreover, it's really condescending on Google's part to think that this is what the "fashionistas" are missing.

    Not to mention the user interface is super ugly and underdeveloped.

    This is where you say, no no tell me how you really feel :)

    ReplyDelete