Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Andy Warhol Exposures

It may comes as a surprise, considering that I'm a photographer and dressed as Andy Warhol for Halloween and named my new blog Pixie Warhol that I never considered myself a massive fan. Of course I liked his prints but honestly they seemed too hyped when I was younger...it was too easy to throw out Andy Warhol as though it were a secret code to show that you knew art -along with Dali and Pollock. So while I never had anything against him I didn't really pay him much mind. I mean, we're all going to get our 15 minutes, so he had his first. Next!

But last week I saw this quote of his online completely randomly They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself, and it felt like a personal message, and piqued my interest enough to seek out a book about him at the Library. (I adore libraries and the main Brooklyn one is one of my favorites aesthetically - albeit painfully overheated in the winter!) His Philosophy wasn't on the shelves so I quickly grabbed this book Andy Warhol's Exposures. It's basically a compendium of photos he'd taken of famous people along with his stories about them.

It's utterly fascinating and made me jealous that I never got to go to Studio 54 and that nothing exists like that now...Vandam was kind of like that for awhile in the sense of family/familiarity... but honestly the #1 thing that I think is killing the vitality of nightlife is cell phones and text messaging.  Granted nothing beats texting for a good flirtation but often it's just used to mask peoples discomfort with being by themselves for more than 2 seconds. If I ran a nightclub I'd covertly allow smoking inside but make people go outside to use their cell phones. One of the best nights I had was at an early party at Good Units and for whatever reason, no one could get cell service inside. People were actually talking to strangers or at the very least being aware that there were others in their vicinity. Lovely! Oops sorry to go on a mini-rant! Here is another photo from the book...can you tell who it is? (answer is in the tags!)

1 comment:

  1. love the new posts - always thought you had much more to say than you let out on the main blog and it's great to get to know what you're thinking about and being turned on by ... and subversive as you sound, I would prefer the days of smoke in and text out. what a novel idea to have a club where people can talk and not hide.

    ReplyDelete